The box to tune the rest!
Ok, so our other listing for the JB4 says it tunes them all, it's not quite true, if you have a newer smartstream model you'll need a different cable loom, hence the second listing! Same rule applies, simply plug the OBD2 connector into your car and the JB4 will auto tune itself to suit your specific car!
NOTE: This BETA system includes retrofit MAP connectors. The retrofit connectors do not have the usual retaining clips and instead are secured by friction and/or included zip-ties. Once we are able to source the correct connectors with retaining clips they will be provided to BETA customers free of charge.
The JB4 tuner is a sensor-interceptor style piggyback tuner, similar to their other competitors (like RaceChip) however it's completely customisable. Not only can we custom tune your modified car to suit your modifications, if you're handy with logs and understand the data, you're even able to make the changes yourself!
Utilising a 64mhz processor and dedicated 10-bit digital to analogue converters, the JB4 allows your sensors to be sampled over 800 times per second. This ensures that you're getting the smoothest and best performing control over your engine
The key point of difference with the JB4 over many of it's plug-and-play competitors are the fully programmable CANbus system and the user-accessible data logging capability.
CANbus allows the JB4 to take into account multiple factors, such as; pedal input, throttle position, gear, engine speed, air/fuel ratio, fuel trims, ignition advance, knock, and many other factors. The chip can then not only incorporate those into the performance mapping but with added safety features like boost pressure limitation when the engine is cold, lean fuel condition protection, and the ability to reduce power if the engine is overheating, the JB4 helps to keep your car as safe as possible. Not only that, but as an added bonus, the JB4 can also read and clear fault codes,
With all this taken into account, it's obvious that the JB4 offers a lot more performance, functionality, and safety than your average performance chip.
The JB4 comes pre-loaded with 8 maps including stock and valet mode. These can be selected on the fly using a BMS diagnostics cable (from a laptop or tablet) or from the JB4 mobile smartphone application (Cables and Bluetooth adaptors not included):
- Map 0 - The JB4 is disabled
- Map 1 - This map runs 4psi over stock at peak boost, and boost tapers to +2.5psi at high RPM. This is the default performance map, and is suitable for all cars running 95 RON or better fuels
- Map 2 - This map runs 5psi over stock at peak boost and tapers to +4psi at higher RPM. This is the suggested map for cars running 98 RON fuel
- Map 3 - This map runs 6psi over stock at peak boost and tapers to +5psi at high RPM. This maps requires using 98 RON + octane booster, race gas, or ethanol mixtures up to E30 (requires fuel line tap on all models)
- Map 4 - This map runs up to 7psi over stock and tapers towards redline. Suitable only for use with race fuel or ethanol mixtures up to E30 (requires fuel line tap on all models)
- Map 5 - This map runs up to 7psi over stock but without top end taper. For race fuel use only, and cars will require supporting modifications. Not generally suitable for ethanol mixtures due to fuel pressure supply issues. If using this map on E85 you should be experienced at reading your own logs and evaluating ignition advance and fuel pressure.
- Map 6 - This is the tunable map, able to be adjusted by the user, or an experienced tuner. It's possible to enter value of boost requested over stock on the user adjustment page.
- Map 7 - This is the WMI (Water/Methanol Injection) map. This map progressively increases boost as a function of methanol flow. It also holds boost low until WMI is flowing to avoid tip-in knock, and reduces boost as a function of WMI flow in the event of interruption like running out of fluid, line leak, or component failure.
- Map 8 - This is the "valet-mode" map. If forces the car to run around half normal boost.
Due to a well-documented issue with Hyundai and Kia engines, and as with other tunes and piggyback options, the factory spark plugs can prove to be an issue for these cars when the boost is tuned up. The simple fix is to re-gap the stock plugs down to 0.022" - 0.026". However the better solutions is to replace the spark plugs with racing plugs, which not only offer a stronger spark, more reliably than the stock plugs, but also help to bring down cylinder temps by running colder than stock.
Contact us for options for upgraded plugs for your Smartstream engined Hyundai/Kia
If you want to wirelessly connect your JB4 to your mobile phone, you'll need to purchase the optional JB4 Mobile connect kit and application. Alternatively, if you have a Windows laptop, you can get the BMS data cable. Both of these options allow you to connect to your JB4, allowing for datalogging, map switching, tune customisation, and updating of the JB4's firmware as newer versions are released, with more powerful maps and new features always under development.
The JB4 is shipped in a billet all-weather enclosure with fuel control wires preinstalled. They're made in USA and come with a 5 year warranty
For installation guide, further map information, updated firmware, and more, check out the official Burger Motorsport forum post - here
2021 1.6L Smartstream
2021 Genesis GV80 2.5L with JB4
2021 Genesis GV80 3.5t, JB4, 91 octane and E20
- 2020+ Kia Stinger (2.5T)
- 2020+ Kia Sorento (2.5T)
- 2020+ Genesis G70 (2.5T& 3.5TT)
- 2020+ Genesis GV70 (2.5T& 3.5TT)
- 2020+ Genesis G80 (2.5T& 3.5TT)
- 2020+ Genesis GV80 (2.5T & 3.5TT)
- 2020+ Hyundai Sonata
- 2020+ Hyundai i30 Sedan SR/N-Line
- 2021+ Kona N-Line
- 2021+ Hyundai i20N
JB4 is compatible across almost entire Kia/Hyundai turbocharged line-up
If your car isn't on this list, there is a different model for newer Hyundai/Kia models here!
No claims are made with regard to the legality of using any parts supplied by Cherry Tuning Pty. Ltd.
Parts are supplied for off-road use only and it is the responsibility of the customer to confirm with their local government regarding the legality of installing any parts for road use.
I bought the jb4 right after I saw the social media posts about the i20N and the jb4. At first a was a little sceptical with the maf sensors not being used. But after running my i20N on map 2 for a day I noticed the AFR is good when stepping on the accelerator but run a bit high when driving normal. I do like the setup of the jb4 app although you need to pay extra for it. After all it is a good product