There are plenty of videos and articles online that outline the benefits of water/methanol injection, this listing isn't supposed to be a be-all and end-all guide on the benefits of water/methanol injection. If you're curious about using WMI on your car and want to discuss it further, head over to the contact page and give us a call!
That said, here are the main benefits of using water/methanol injection:
- It drastically lowers your intake air temps. It’s easily possible to get your intake temperatures BELOW ambient temperature, meaning your car will have that “cold weather feel” even on a hot summer day! In fact, WMI can be so effective at lowering temps that it’s possible for turbocharged cars to be run without an intercooler!
- It increases effective octane rating of fuel by as much as 20 points, meaning WMI gives you more knock resistance then race fuel or E85. Obviously, this benefit isn’t really noticeable unless you tune the car for it. By adding in additional ignition timing, increasing boost pressure, and leaning out the fuel mixture, especially when you combine this with the reduced intake temps, it’s entirely possible to see gains of 5-10% for a naturally aspirated car, and >20% for a turbocharged car.
- It cleans your intake valves and combustion chambers. This is especially important for our direct injection cars, where the only other real option is to run a catch can and clean the valves whenever you service the car. The water portion of the WMI system also helps to steam clean the engine internals, ensuring that your engine has a long and happy service life.
- You only use it when you drive hard, unlike E85 or similar. When you're cruising on the motorway, your car doesn't use any water/meth at all, as the system is only set to inject when there is boost present. In addition, it can actually decrease fuel consumption for light/medium throttle loads, as the methanol mixture will allow the ECU to inject less petrol.
- It's cheap and easy to install! This is especially if you buy your methanol in bulk.
About the AEM Water Methanol Kit
The on-demand progressive controller in AEM’s Boost Dependent Water/Methanol Injection kit bases injection flow on manifold pressure (up to 35 psi) using a built in pressure sensor. This ensures the proper amount of water/methanol is injected at all points along an engine’s power curve. AEM have spent a lot of time managing and configuring the controller’s flow control, working to ensure that the output from the injector is very linear across its whole operating range. The controller comes with two large, turn-resistant knobs with larger numbering to easily adjust the start and full injection points.
This kit comes with the following components:
- 6M of High Pressure ¼” Nylon Hose
- 1x 4.35L Tank with Integrated Fluid Level Sensor (254mm x 216mm x 108mm)
- 1x 200 PSI Pump with Integral Fittings
- 1x Progressive Injection Control Module
- 1x 3.6M Wiring Harness
- Injector Nozzle Kit:
- Jet, Medium - 500 cc/min
- Jet, Small - 250 cc/min
- Jet, Large - 1000 cc/min
- Nylon Washer
- Injector Body
- H2O Nozzle
- Hardware Kit:
- 1.5M Vacuum Hose – 2.75mm
- 90cm 3/8" High Temp Wire Wrap
- 15cm Edge Protector
- 1x 1/8” Tee Fitting
- 10x Zip Ties
- Various Nuts, Bolts, and Washers
- 1x 5mm Cockpit LED
- 2x Butt Connector, 14-16 AWG (blue)
- 9x Butt Connector, 18-22 AWG (red)
- 4x Ring Terminal, 14-16 AWD (blue)
- 1x 1/4" Hose Routing Strip
Important Safety Notice Regarding Methanol
AEM and Cherry Tuning strongly recommend that users never exceed a 50% methanol concentration when using any AEM Water Methanol system or component.
While all AEM Water/Methanol injection systems and components (pump, lines, fittings, filter, flow sensor, tank, and nozzles) are 100% chemically compatible with methanol, for safety reasons we strongly recommend that users never use more than a 50% methanol concentration in these systems systems.
Methanol is a toxic and highly flammable chemical. 100% Methanol ignites easily and burns vigorously with an almost undetectable flame. Methanol can be absorbed through the skin and even small amounts can cause blindness or even death. Using this fluid at high pressures, without dilution, in an under-hood environment with nylon lines and push-to-connect fittings is very unsafe. The performance advantages of using greater than 50% methanol concentrations are small, if they exist at all. However, the safety issues are very real and far outweigh any perceived benefit of running high concentrations of methanol.
Water/Methanol Injection systems, even is just used for water injection, is not generally considered legal for street use in Australia without certification by an Engineer. Additionally, improper installation and/or adjustment of this product can result in major engine/vehicle damage.
Note: Neither AEM, nor Cherry Tuning holds any responsibility for any engine damage or personal injury that results from the misuse of this product, including - but not limited to - injury or death caused by the mishandling of methanol.
Note: For optimum results, all water/methanol injection systems and gauges should be run with an AEM inline filter (Available Separately)
The latest V3 nozzle is the latest by AEM allowing for a much more broad spray. As stated above definitely mix your own methanol its easy and will save you bucket loads.
Parts are supplied for off-road use only and it is the responsibility of the customer to confirm with their local government regarding the legality of installing any parts for road use.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
- Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device